Army Field Manual FM 3-22.9 is a U.S. Army manual that provides guidance on rifle marksmanship. Its full title is “Rifle Marksmanship M16-/M4-Series Weapons,” and it is also commonly referred to as simply “FM 3-22.9” or “the marksmanship manual.”
The manual covers a wide range of topics related to rifle marksmanship, including marksmanship fundamentals, rifle operation, and maintenance, zeroing procedures, engaging targets at various distances and under different conditions, and much more. It is intended to provide soldiers with the knowledge and skills necessary to effectively engage targets with the M16/M4 series of weapons. FM 3-22.9 is regularly updated to reflect new technologies, tactics, and techniques and is considered a critical resource for anyone involved in the training or use of U.S. Army rifles.
- The manual is organized into five main chapters. Each chapter covers specific topics related to marksmanship training and rifle operation:
- Rifle Marksmanship Training
- Advanced Rifle Marksmanship
- Alternate Firing Positions
- Rifle Marksmanship Qualification.
- Fundamentals: The Fundamentals chapter covers the basics of marksmanship, including proper stance, breathing, aiming, trigger control, and follow-through.
- Rifle Marksmanship Training: This chapter provides guidance on how to conduct marksmanship training, including individual and collective training, range operations, and safety procedures.
- Advanced Rifle Marksmanship: The Advanced Rifle Marksmanship chapter covers more complex marksmanship techniques, such as engaging moving targets, shooting from different positions and distances, and using night vision devices.
- Alternate Firing Positions: This chapter provides guidance on how to shoot from alternate firing positions, including prone unsupported, prone supported, kneeling, sitting, and standing positions.
- Rifle Marksmanship Qualification: The Rifle Marksmanship Qualification chapter covers the qualification standards that soldiers must meet to demonstrate proficiency with the M16/M4 series rifles.
- Updates: FM 3-22.9 is regularly updated to reflect changes in technology, tactics, and techniques. The most recent update, as of my knowledge, a cutoff in September 2021 was in March 2021.
Army Field Manual FM 3-22.9 is an essential resource for U.S. Army soldiers, trainers, and leaders. It provides a standardized approach to rifle marksmanship training, ensuring that soldiers have a solid foundation in marksmanship fundamentals and can effectively engage targets under various conditions. The manual emphasizes safety and proper technique, helping to minimize the risk of accidents or errors during marksmanship training and combat operations. Additionally, the manual provides guidance on how to conduct marksmanship training and qualification, which ensures that all soldiers receive the same level of training and that proficiency is standardized across the Army.
The principles and techniques taught in FM 3-22.9 are also relevant to law enforcement and civilian shooters who use the M16/M4 series rifles. The manual’s focus on marksmanship fundamentals, safety, and effective engagement of targets at various distances and under different conditions is applicable to any situation where a shooter may need to use a rifle. Additionally, the manual’s emphasis on proper maintenance and operation of the rifle can help ensure that the weapon is reliable and functions properly, which is critical for anyone who relies on a rifle for self-defense or other purposes. Overall, Army Field Manual FM 3-22.9 is a valuable resource for anyone looking to improve their marksmanship skills with the M16/M4 series rifles.
Why is FM 3-22.9 so important?
Army Field Manual FM 3-22.9 is so important because it provides the U.S. Army with a standardized approach to rifle marksmanship training, which is critical for ensuring that soldiers are proficient in using the M16/M4 series rifles. This manual provides comprehensive guidance on marksmanship fundamentals, proper rifle operation, maintenance, advanced marksmanship techniques, alternate firing positions, and qualification standards.
The manual’s importance lies in its contribution to the readiness and effectiveness of the U.S. Army. By providing soldiers with the knowledge and skills necessary to operate and employ the M16/M4 series rifles effectively and safely, the manual ensures they are prepared for combat situations. Moreover, the standardization of training ensures that proficiency in rifle marksmanship is consistent across the Army.
FM 3-22.9 also emphasizes safety and proper technique, which is critical for minimizing the risk of accidents or errors during marksmanship training and combat operations. The manual’s regular updates reflect changes in technology, tactics, and techniques, which ensures that soldiers are trained on the latest equipment and techniques.